Table of contents:
Video: How To Prepare A Great Cauliflower Steak?
2023 Author: Lynn Laird | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 21:10
In summer, we are looking for lightness and choose to consume less meat. There is no shortage of alternatives and cauliflower is one of the most popular. But what can meat and cauliflower have in common? The answer is to be discovered in our article of the day inspired by a very original technique of preparing and tasting the vegetable. Have you ever heard of cauliflower steak? Whether the answer is "yes" or "no", we are going to present you some excellent vegetarian steak recipes, combining taste, simplicity and lightness.
Cauliflower steak: what exactly is it?
Cauliflower is an excellent alternative when choosing to consume less meat, because the vegetable provides good fiber and a satiating texture. Cauliflower steak or cauliflower steak is nothing more than a large slice of cauliflower, first blanched and then roasted and garnished as desired. Super appetizing, this light dish is very nice on the plate, smells really good and allows several culinary improvisations.
Cauliflower steak: the basic recipe
1. Start by preheating the oven to 200 °.
2. Turn the cauliflower over and remove part of the stem. Straighten the vegetable and cut slices of about 3 cm.
3. In a large saucepan, boil water. Cook the steaks for 10 minutes.
4. Drain and place on a baking sheet with baking paper.
5. Brush both sides of the steaks with garlic butter or olive oil.
6. Sprinkle with oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
7. Bake for 15 minutes at 200 °, then turn them over and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
8. It's ready!
Note: when cutting a cauliflower, the small pieces that come off in florets, are also usable. They can be prepared like the rest: coated with oil, baked at the same time, they become crunchy and very pleasant to snack on.
Cauliflower steak with tahini and lemon sauce
• 1 large head of cauliflower
• 3 tbsp. tablespoons olive oil
• ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
• ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds, chopped
• Himalayan salt to taste
• Pepper to taste
For the tahini and lemon sauce:
• ¼ cup + 1 tsp. lukewarm filtered water
• ¼ cup tahini
• 1 clove of garlic, chopped
• 2 tbsp. lemon juice
• ½ tsp. maple syrup
• ¼ tsp. teaspoon Himalayan salt
• 1/8 tsp. black pepper
1. Cut the cauliflower into slices. Place them on a baking sheet with baking paper. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Cook them at 200 ° for 30 minutes or until the “steaks” are golden.
3. Meanwhile, mix 1 tbsp. tablespoon olive oil, chopped parsley and pumpkin seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
4. For the dressing: place one or two nice golden slices of cauliflower on a plate. Drizzle with tahini and lemon sauce and garnish with the parsley + pumpkin seeds mixture.
Grilled cauliflower steak with tahini sauce + lime and cilantro sauce
• 1 large head of cauliflower
• 1 tbsp. tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tbsp. maple syrup
• ¼ tsp. salt
• ½ tsp. ground cumin; smoked paprika and turmeric
For the tahini sauce:
• 1/3 cup of tahini (ie 85g)
• ½ tsp. garlic powder
• 3 tsp. lemon juice
• ½ tsp. ground cumin
• 4-5 tsp. tablespoons water
• 1 pinch of salt
For the lime and cilantro sauce:
• 1 small bunch of coriander (or parsley)
• 3 cloves of garlic
• ½ jalapeño pepper
• 3 tbsp. lime juice
• ½ avocado
• 2 tbsp. tablespoons water
• ½ tsp. salt and pepper
* Once the cauliflower steaks are grilled, do not hesitate to accompany them with a good mashed beetroot or sweet potatoes. The two sauces, the ingredients of which are listed above, are also a great idea for garnishing vegetarian steaks.
Miso and sesame marinated cauliflower steak recipe
• 1 clove of garlic
• 5 g of fresh ginger
• 1 tbsp. miso paste (fermented soybean paste)
• 1 tbsp. light soy sauce
• 1 tbsp. tahini tahini
• 1 lemon
• 2 tbsp. honey
• 100 g unsalted butter, melted
• 2 large heads of cauliflower
1. Preheat the barbecue or a griddle.
2. To prepare the frosting, mince the garlic and ginger into a paste and transfer it to a bowl. Add the miso paste, soy sauce and tahini. In another bowl, grate the lemon zest with the juice of the lemon half, add the honey and melted butter. Mix the two preparations well. Cut the cauliflower into 2 cm slices.
3. Brush the cauliflower slices with the miso frosting. Place them on the barbecue and cook for 15 minutes, turning occasionally and brushing them with icing to form a sweet and savory crust.
Cauliflower steak with a nut and caper salsa
Ingredients for the salsa:
• 1/3 cup of walnuts
• ¼ cup of olive oil
• 2 tbsp. drained capers
• 1 Fresno pepper, seeded, finely chopped
• 3 tbsp. coarsely chopped parsley
• 1 tbsp. of dried currants
• 1 tbsp. sherry vinegar
• 1 tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
• Kosher salt
Ingredients for cauliflower
• 1 small head of cauliflower
• Kosher salt
• 1 finely grated garlic clove
• 2 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice
• 2 tbsp. tahini tahini
• 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
• 2 tbsp. tablespoons of olive oil
• 2 sprigs of oregano
• Lemon zest + lemon wedges
1. Preheat the oven to 180 ° C. Toast the nuts on a rimmed baking sheet, stirring a few times, until golden brown. Let cool, then roughly chop them. Reserve aside.
2. Increase the temperature to 200 ° C to cook the cauliflower.
3. In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil and capers, stirring often, until the capers are golden and crisp. Carefully transfer them to a small heatproof bowl. Let cool.
4. Combine the nuts, chopped pepper, parsley, dried currants, sherry vinegar and lemon zest. Season with salt.
5. Cut the cauliflower into slices. Reserve the small pieces that come off in florets. Use them to make a puree.
6. Place the cauliflower florets in a large pot of salted boiling water for 6 to 8 minutes, until tender. Drain them, then place them in a food processor with the garlic, lemon juice, tahini and 1 tbsp. tablespoon of water and mash everything.
7. In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the butter and stir until melted. Add the cauliflower steaks, oregano and lemon zest. Cook until the steaks are golden brown. Then turn them over and season with salt.
8. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast until the cauliflower stems are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Cashew and paprika sauce to enhance the cauliflower steak
• ½ cup creamy cashew sauce (1 ½ cup cashews, soaked for 8 hours and mashed with water and the juice of a quarter of a lemon)
• 1 tsp. smoked paprika
• 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
• ½ tsp. chopped garlic
• Pepper and salt to taste
• 1-2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
* This creamy sauce is perfect to accompany cauliflower steaks. Do not hesitate to garnish your plates with lemon slices, olives and parsley.
Cooked bacon slices, grated cheddar, chopped fresh chives and ranch sauce: a great garnish for cauliflower steaks
Romesco sauce is also a great garnish
• 1 jar of roasted red peppers
• ½ cup raw almonds
• ¼ cup crushed tomatoes, canned
• ¼ cup fresh parsley
• 1-2 tbsp. teaspoon harissa paste
• The juice of one lemon
• Salt and pepper