Table of contents:
Video: Bird Drinker: Discover All Our Advice
2023 Author: Lynn Laird | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 21:10
With the arrival of spring and the return of sunny days, the gardens began to show off their finest adornment. The first flowers appeared by transforming the terraces, patios and gardens into flowery and decorative spaces for leisure and relaxation. And what could be more beautiful than to also invite the multicolored butterflies and the birds whose songs make us happy! If to attract butterflies to the garden it is usually enough to plant the flowers that caterpillars and butterflies like to feed on, to attract birds, the task is not so simple. It is important to offer them diversity, a shelter, so that they can create their nests, as well as to put food and water at their disposal. In this article we focus on the bird waterer which,in addition to quenching their thirst, will serve as a magnificent decorative element in any season.
How to attract birds to your garden?
If you want to enjoy the pleasure of watching the dancing birds and listening to their melodious songs as often as possible in your own garden, just a few simple tips are enough. To attract birds, first, you need to create a welcoming environment for them. The most important thing is to meet at least one of their basic needs: food, water, shelter and nesting.
• Plant plants that will provide food for the birds. These are flowers, perennials or annuals that attract insects, as well as trees and shrubs that produce seeds or berries. Consider planting aromatic herbs (thyme, lavender, lemon balm), conifers (balsam fir, cedar, white spruce, juniper, tamarack, white pine, red pine), fruit shrubs (hawthorn, Japanese berberis, blueberry, cherry, honeysuckle, dogwood, raspberry, mulberry, rowan, white elderberry, golden elderberry, red elderberry, cotoneaster, etc.), perennial (aster, blue thistle, purple coneflower, heliopsis, cardinal lobelia, tiarella, achilea, columbine), annuals (fuchsia, impatiens royale, sunflower, zinnia, cosmos).
• Install suitable bird feeders. You can either set up different feeders to offer the seeds separately, or mix them according to the tastes of the birds you want to attract. You are not advised to use the commercial mixtures because of the waste (birds eat only the seeds they prefer and throw away the seeds they don't like).
• Providing a waterer for birds will be of great benefit to them. A water point will allow the birds to hydrate, but also to wash and maintain their plumage. Put at least 2.5 cm of water in the trough and do not hesitate to add stones so that the birds with short legs can splash around and enjoy the baths too. On the maintenance side, change the water and clean the pool at least twice a week.
Why install a waterer for birds in your garden?
The bird waterer is an increasingly popular feature in outdoor design. Very decorative and original, the bird bath offers our feathered friends a place to cool off, groom and splash around at their ease. Plus, providing constant fresh water will attract more birds to the garden than just hanging up a feeder. Although feeders filled with seeds and fruits are an essential and attractive feature for birds, many species will never visit our feeders. But installing a drinking water point appeals to all birds. Surprisingly, the exact reason why birds bathe are still unknown. Perhaps this is a routine to care for their feathers.
The water which is so essential to life, is frequently lacking in periods that are too dry or in winter. Lack of water can become critical because birds lose it while breathing and in their droppings. So, it is vital for them to replace these losses. Installing drinkers in the garden, on the terrace or on the balcony greatly helps them to survive. But the need for water is also important for the regular baths of birds, allowing them to get rid of dust, mud and parasites. It is also believed that thanks to the baths, the plumage keeps its properties (maintaining body temperature, flight, protection).
Which bird drinker to choose?
Technically, any small container can double as a watering hole for birds and become their favorite bathing spot. This can be, for example, a plate, a flowerpot saucer, a lid, a pan, etc. Or any other object that may contain water and has an edge on which birds can land.
In general, there are four main types of waterers and birdbaths. The choice depends, in most cases, on where you want to install it and personal preferences. The models to choose from are: the bird drinker on foot, suspended or on the ground and with an integrated fountain.
Let's explore the characteristics of each of the three types mentioned:
The standing bird waterer is a classic model, which generally finds its place in large gardens but also in green patios. This type of drinker is characterized by a round basin supported by a pedestal on a foot. The free-standing birdbath allows birds to monitor the surroundings and avoid possible predator attacks. In addition, the standing models are very decorative and bring a special charm to any outdoor space.
- The cast iron bird feeder is one of the most original representatives of the free-standing models. Stable, practical and decorative, this device will attract birds to your garden!
- You can also buy or make yourself a drinker for birds out of wood. There is no shortage of ideas and, depending on the style of our outdoor space, we can install a resolutely modern or rather rustic wooden birdbath. Whatever it is, wood is a fundamental natural element in most contemporary landscaping. It is very important to bet on a sufficiently durable species or, if this is not the case, to choose a preservation treatment adapted to face the biological degradations (insects, fungi) and physical (such as graying), due to humidity, UV rays, etc.
The suspended bird drinker is also very practical, especially from a safety point of view. Generally, this type of device has a smaller basin and contains less water than a conventional birdbath. Other than that, these drinkers are perfect to hang from a tree branch or even a wall. They can also be added next to a bird perch and are a wonderful addition for small balconies and roof terraces.
The diversity of models is impressive! The most popular hanging drinkers are plastic, metal, glass and ceramic. A chain is usually used to hang the container. If it's a DIY birdbath, you can also use a strong string.
The floor-standing bird waterer may be the best way to attract birds. Why ? Since many birds get their water from puddles, they are comfortable swimming and drinking off the ground. Floor-standing drinking troughs would also be a potential way to attract land birds, as well as other thirsty animals like rabbits, squirrels, etc.
Much like wall-hung drinkers, floor-standing birdbaths are generally lightweight and are easy to move. They are also easy to clean and install. You just have to let them fill up with rainwater or fill them yourself.
The fourth waterer model for birds to explore is the one with an integrated fountain. The device in question goes beyond its role of simply offering a drink and a swim to the birds. The movement of the water will actually attract birds and will give you a real spectacle of joy. But the other major advantage of a bird drinker with an integrated fountain is its very decorative appearance. In addition, by installing such a device in his garden, we will definitely bring calm and tranquility. It should be taken into account that the models with an integrated fountain are a little more expensive than the others. In general, the prices of bird drinkers vary from a dozen euros to a few hundred. It all depends, of course, on personal needs and budget.
Whatever model of bird drinker you have chosen, regular cleaning of the pond remains a major and essential issue. Let it be said: when the birds start to frequent the water point, after only a few days, excrement, dirt and bacteria will inevitably spoil the water and soil the basin. So, it is essential to change the water every few days and perform a cleaning of the basin by means once a week. Hanging drinkers have the advantage of being generally small and easy to take indoors and clean in the sink. Regarding the cleaning of classic freestanding birdbaths, which are heavier and have a larger basin,it makes more sense to use a hose and a brush that will help remove dirt and droppings from the pelvis.