Table of contents:
Video: Café Dalgona: The Trend Is For Whipped Coffee
During the lockdown, social networks continued to tell us about new trends. The short video sharing platform Tik Tok among others can boast of massive user engagement and an almost 30% increase in app downloads since the start of March. Why ? The app has become a way to go through confinement with creativity. In recent weeks, we have seen this network identify trends that have gone viral. And Dalgona Café, which is one of them, deserves the attention of all coffee lovers. Read on to learn more.
Café Dalgona: what is it?
Dalgona coffee has become the new viral trend to the delight of coffee lovers. The trend for Dalgona Coffee, from South Korea, emerged during the quarantine following a challenge made viral by the Tik Tok platform. The very simple drink represents a glass of milk, either hot or cold, accompanied by a creamy preparation with instant coffee, sugar and water. In the following paragraphs, you will discover our instructions for making your trendy coffee drink a success.
How to prepare Dalgona coffee yourself?
• 14 g of instant coffee
• 75 ml of water
• 55 g of sugar
• 200 ml of milk
• Ice cubes
1. In a bowl, pour instant coffee, sugar and water.
2. Beat with an electric mixer for about 10 minutes or until the texture becomes thick and airy.
3. Fill a glass with ice cubes, up to halfway.
4. Add milk, up to 2/3 of the glass.
5. Using a spoon, drop the whipped coffee on top.
• This is the classic version of Dalgona coffee. If you prefer your coffee hot, do not hesitate to prepare your drink with hot milk and without ice cubes.
• If you want to add a twist to your Dalgona coffee, you can swap the milk for a vegetable milk, for example.
• And that's not all. While you are whipping the instant coffee with the sugar and water, it is possible to add cocoa, cinnamon or vanilla to the mixture to flavor it. It's even possible to sprinkle cocoa or matcha on top of the whipped coffee.
• Take into consideration that to concoct Dalgona coffee, it is not possible to substitute instant coffee for ordinary coffee or for espresso.
Dalgona matcha latte
• 1 egg white or 2 tbsp. aquafaba
• 1 tbsp. of sugar
• 1 tbsp. of Matcha tea powder
• 1 cup of coconut milk or other
1. Using an electric mixer or whisk, whisk the egg white (or aquafaba) until frothy and thick.
2. Add the sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form that stick to the whisk.
3. Sift the matcha powder over it. Whisk to mix well.
4. Pour the milk into a glass and garnish with the whipped matcha tea.
• 2 tsp. of chocolate powder
• 2 tbsp. tablespoon sugar
• 2 tbsp. tablespoons hot water
• Ice cubes
1. In a bowl, put the chocolate powder, sugar and hot water and whisk until you obtain a frothy and airy preparation.
2. Pour the chocolate preparation into a glass filled with ice cubes and milk.
Dalgona rose milkshake
• ½ cup of whipping cream
• 1 tbsp. of rose syrup
• Sugar, to taste
• Milk of your choice
• Ice cubes
1. In a bowl, put the whipping cream, sugar and rose syrup. Whisk everything until the resulting mixture has stiff peaks. Be sure not to over-whisk, otherwise the mixture will start to separate and become grainy.
2. Fill a glass with ice cubes then add the milk.
3. Top with the rose whipped cream.
• 2 tsp. tablespoons Nesquik strawberry powder
• ¼ cup or 1/3 cup whipping cream
• 250 ml milk
• Ice cubes
• Syrup or honey to garnish the glass
1. Just put the strawberry powder and whipping cream in a bowl and whisk for 3-5 minutes or until you get an airy mixture. If using an electric mixer, whisk until the mixture forms stiff peaks. Set aside.
2. Put the syrup (or honey) and a small amount of Nesquik strawberry powder in two flat plates and dip the rim of the glass in the syrup, then in the strawberry powder.
3. Fill the glass with ice cubes, then pour in 250 ml of milk.
4. Finally, slowly add your strawberry mixture.
5. Garnish by sprinkling more strawberry powder.