Table of contents:
Video: Olive Oil Cake: The New Instagram Sensation
2023 Author: Lynn Laird | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 21:10
Few pastries have such a moving history like the olive oil cake, the new food trend on Instagram. Apparently, the confinement had a favorable impact on the culinary mastery of the ladies and not just that. While the inexpensive banana bread and sourdough have a great year, it's okay to experiment with another staple: olive oil. Cake frenzy smells crazy! But when you have such famous "publicity agents" like the Kardashians, this pie was quickly and highly acclaimed. Not so splendid as the fall cake decoration, the so publicized “invention” of two unemployed people panicked the Web.
The olive oil cake: the new food trend on Instagram
It's not so shiny as the mirror icing cake and as cosmic as our editor's Galaxy cake, but if you've seen one olive oil cake in particular on sister Kardashian-Jenner's Instagram in recent times weeks, you were probably intrigued / e /. It's a perfectly round amber bread, generously covered with a dusting of powdered sugar. As Instagram sensation pioneers Liz Roth and Jaymie Wisneski call it: “Olive Oil Bomb Cake”.
Roth, who has spent years perfecting the recipe, says the moisture level in the cake paired with the local ingredients makes it addicting. Even if you eat it three days later, the moisture content is so high that every bite tastes like a slice of spongy, lemony olive oil.
What is the great success of the olive oil cake?
When chef talent and great creativity engage in a charitable cause, one can only expect a quick and lasting result. We can add to the list of favors the juicy taste, mixed with the aroma of citrus fruits and the durability of this new star of recipes. You pull a delicate piece of string with a fresh olive mark attached and you're immediately struck by that whiff of freshly baked, slightly warm cake. The aroma of a sprig of fresh rosemary awakens all the senses. For the reasons listed, the olive oil cake has invited itself to almost every home, at tea or coffee time. Don't wait to read and experiment with the recipes we recommend below.
A little insight into the new food trend cake
This light and succulent cake star is perfectly moist with a tender crumb. Dotted with fresh berries, it tastes sophisticated enough to finish off a dinner. What do you need to do it?
As with most homemade cakes, the main ingredients are eggs, sugar, fat, and sourdough. Well, you need exactly:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- a pinch of orange zest
- ¾ cup of high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ cup berries, fresh or frozen
What kind of olive oil should you use?
While there is no specific brand that will perform better than others, it is important to use high quality extra virgin olive oil if you want a real olive oil cake. It's definitely worth it and creates the most delicate balance of flavors you will ever have in a cake. Keep your eyes peeled for the thick dark glass type, with a robust flavor.
Having said that, if the potent flavor of olive oil isn't your thing, you can use a different one that is milder or lighter in taste, but always look for extra virgin oil!
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C and line a round tray 20 to 23 cm diagonally with parchment paper. Put aside.
- Beat sugar, orange zest and eggs together in a stand mixer on medium speed until pale yellow, about 1 minute. If you don't have a stand mixer, you can also do this by hand with a whisk!
- Run the blender at medium low speed, slowly flowing in the olive oil to emulsify. Make sure to go slowly to prevent the dough from splitting! Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt) and stir until combined. Don't overdo it. Finally, gently fold in the berries.
- Pour batter into your prepared pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until cake is lightly browned and a knife inserted in the middle comes out almost clean. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Do olive oil cakes have frosting?
In principle, olive oil cake is slightly denser, silkier and richer than traditional tiered cakes like vanilla cake, chocolate cake, etc. For this reason, it is not necessary to fill it with a sweet buttercream, as it becomes much heavier. On the other hand, you can bet on a combination of seasonal berries that add a delicious complement to the fruity tones of olive oil. But if berries aren't your thing, you can always skip them and try one of the options below.
If you prefer to omit the berries, garnish with icing. Notably, a light coating of lemon, orange or vanilla frosting will perfectly complement the tender crumb of the cake and help bring out the flavor of the olive oil.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar
No doubt, powdered sugar adds an extra touch of sweetness to finish this unique cake.
Garnish with jam
If you are feeling very fancy, you can make a homemade sauce with fresh or frozen fruit to pour over the cake.
Top with whipped cream
Surely, the slightly sweet whipped cream can give the cake a little more height without weighing it down. We recommend freshly whipped cream with a touch of sugar and orange zest!
As this olive oil cake is absolutely delicious on its own, so don't feel the need to top it with anything else!
How to store the olive oil cake?
It might sound funny to you, but in most cases there won't be any holdings. So he is enticing and leaves right away. But, if you have any left over, you can store it in an airtight container, plastic bag, covered plate, or under a cake dome for up to 5 days. It also freezes very well. Let it cool completely and place it in a plastic bag in the freezer. When you want to defrost, let it stay overnight in the refrigerator. Freeze for up to 2 months!
Citrus and olive oil cake
If you've never had an olive oil-based dessert before, this tender citrus cake is a great place to start. The lemon and orange zest pair very well with the herbal and lively flavors of olive oil. In case you don't have cake flour on hand, whisk ¼ cup cornstarch with 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour as a substitute.
Still, are you looking for other ways to use almond flour? It makes the best Keto cheesecake crust.
The necessary ingredients for our second variant of olive oil cake
First, for the cake:
• 1 ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil and more for the pan
• 1 cup of granulated sugar and more for the pan
• 3 large eggs
• 2 tablespoons of freshly grated orange zest
• 1 tablespoon of freshly grated lemon zest
• 2 teaspoons of almond extract
• 2 cups of cake flour
• 1/3 cup ground almonds
• 2 teaspoons of yeast
• ½ teaspoon of baking soda
• ½ teaspoon of salt
• 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice (from a large orange)
• 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 medium lemons)
For the toping you need:
• 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
• 1 teaspoon of orange zest
• 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar, for serving
Follow the directions:
- First, preheat the oven to 180˚C and line a 23 cm diagonal round cake pan with parchment paper. Coat the inside with olive oil with your hands or with a paper towel. Then sprinkle with granulated sugar and pat to coat the inside of the pan, shaking off any excess sugar.
- Beat eggs, sugar, orange zest and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, until the mixture is pale yellow, thick and does not stick, 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually add the olive oil on the highest speed, running it slowly over the edge of your bowl, until the mixture is thick and the olive oil is completely incorporated. Add the almond extract.
- Separately, in a medium bowl, whisk to combine the cake flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and beat until combined. Stir in the lemon juice, then 1/3 of the dry ingredients. Add the orange juice, then the remaining dry ingredients until combined.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared cake pan. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and orange zest to garnish the cake. Using your fingertips, rub the orange zest into the sugar to release the essential oils. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the top of the cake.
- Place in the oven to bake, 45 to 55 minutes, until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool completely before sprinkling with powdered sugar.
Be sure this will be your star cake for any family celebration!