Table of contents:
Video: Roasted Tomato Soup With Basil In 30 Minutes
Now, when the temperatures drop and the days get shorter, we often want to make hot and delicious soup. This is why we decided to share with you a recipe for using the last magnificent tomatoes of the season, well ripened under the sun. Combining gluten-free naan bread with roasted tomato basil soup is the perfect dinner for September. Simple, quick and super tasty, this meal will immediately warm you up on rainy days. So, let's get started before pumpkins and mushrooms definitely conquer our kitchen. Are you ready ?
How to prepare the vegetables for the roasted tomato soup?
If there was ever an ultimate comfort soup, this bowl of delight would be a serious contender in September. We will use a combination of fresh tomatoes and canned crushed tomatoes for the perfect texture and taste. The fresh basil and broth are just enough to balance the soup. The cream adds depth to the texture and a touch of luxury. And once the tomatoes are done, you only need 30 minutes to make your Roasted Tomato Basil Soup.
We start with fresh tomatoes which must be slowly roasted in the oven. To do this, simply preheat your oven to 190 ° C, line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and cut the tomatoes in half. If you are using larger red vegetables, cut them into thick slices (1.5 cm). Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. After an hour of cooking, they will be perfectly cooked.
- You can choose any type of tomato for this fall soup, but in this case, Roma tomatoes are believed to be the best choice. In addition, they are generally available all year round.
- Tomatoes can be roasted in advance, up to 24 hours. Once the pan is cold enough, cover them with a kitchen towel (without pressing them) or with stretch film. When ready to use, carefully transfer the roasted tomatoes using a spatula from the baking sheet to the pot.
Prepare your roasted tomato and basil soup in 30 minutes
For the preparation of this super flavorful soup, you need the following ingredients:
- 9 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tbsp. tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 C. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 C. kosher salt (Kosher Salt)
- ½ tsp. 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 can of 800 g crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1 C. tablespoon of sugar
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2/3 cup sour cream
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil or butter in a large saucepan (or Dutch oven) over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Sauté for one more minute.
4. Add the crushed tomatoes, basil and sugar to the pot. Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Add the broth and roasted tomatoes to the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. You can also do this using a blender or a food processor.
7. Stir in the crème fraîche.
3 little tips
- You can only use canned tomatoes, but you won't get the deep roasted taste. However, if you prefer this variant, use two 800g cans of tomatoes. We recommend a can of crushed tomatoes and a can of whole tomatoes.
- You can replace the fresh thyme with 1 ½ teaspoons of dried thyme. But as for the basil, bet on the fresh grass because it gives a different flavor. In addition, the health benefits of fresh basil are really numerous.
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup is best consumed the next day when the flavors are already well mixed. It can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week and can be frozen for up to two months.
How to serve the star soup of September?
A great idea for serving your roasted tomato basil soup is with the famous cloud bread. Also add freshly grated Parmesan to each bowl to give your soup a cheesy aroma and taste that everyone loves. You can also make mini croutons. It's super easy: cut a few small pieces of bread into small cubes, add a little oil, garlic and basil cut into small pieces. Bake at 200 ° C for about 7 minutes. Add the croutons on top of the soup and serve immediately! Enjoy your meal !