Table of contents:
Video: Chinoiserie Pumpkin DIY-an Easy Autumn Decoration
2023 Author: Lynn Laird | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 09:49
This year, we are betting on the unusual, different and unique fall decoration. After showing you our Halloween Pineapple Lantern Tutorial, it's time to show you another seasonal decorating trend. It's about pumpkins and their transformation into a pumpkin chinoiserie. Follow our instructions and you will create cute objects that look like souvenirs made from famous Chinese porcelain. Don't worry if DIY isn't your cup of tea, as it's an extremely easy idea. You can do it even with children! Come on, let's get started!
Why is DIY chinoiserie pumpkin so popular?
Let's start with an explanation of “chinoiserie pumpkin”. The history of this expression comes from the 17th century, when Europeans were very interested in Asian culture and therefore tried to integrate it into their art. According to history, one of the first who popularized this style on the old continent was King Louis XV who in the 18th century decided that the chic chinoiserie style goes well with the rococo style. The term also appears in the pen of Balzac. In recent years, Americans have given new life to this trend with crafts that can be made inexpensively. This is how this Franco-English expression has now become known around the world. In fact, "pumpkin" means "pumpkin".
Chinoiserie is a decorative European art object with motifs of Asian art. This oriental style is seen and read as a model of singularities, which is admired, collected, copied and adapted to contemporary style. Normally these types of decorations are expensive, but we have found two easy ways to create a DIY pumpkin chinoiserie that will surely change the look of your interior.
DIY pumpkin chinoiserie with paper
With this tutorial, we will make a festive DIY project on the theme of fall and Halloween using the cutting method, by sticking napkins on the surface of a pumpkin.
These are all the materials you need:
- Foam pumpkin figure
- Paper napkin (Chinoiserie design)
- Decoupage glue
- Foam Decoupage Brush and Regular Brush
- Paper or plastic bowl
- Plastic spoon
Some pumpkins are flat without any bumps. That is why, we recommend that you prefer foam pumpkins which have beautiful and deep curves. Another tip from us is to use different sized pumpkins to create an even more artistic fall centerpiece. You can also use them to decorate the living room or the hallway for a festive look as soon as you enter your home. As for the color of the towels, choose a shade that matches your interior design. But the classic of the genre is the blue-white combination.
So how do you do it? Here are the detailed steps to follow:
1. First, separate the layers of napkins, because you only need the top layer with the design. The thinner it is, the easier it is to work for the realization of this project.
2. It is better to choose white pumpkins to bring out the Chinese ornaments. If you can't find any, use acrylic paint to paint them. In addition, it is easy to clean with water and dries quickly.
3. A super useful tip that will make your job easier is to use a wand as a handle.
4. If necessary, apply a second coat of paint to fully cover the foam shapes and their orange color. It is important to do this after the first completely dried coat.
5. When the paint is completely dry, lay the decorative towel over the pumpkin as shown in the first photo below. With a pen, mark the center of the foam shape. Remove the towel, then cut a hole where the rod is.
6. Apply the glue to the pumpkin using the paintbrush. Be sure to apply the glue only to the pumpkin and not to the napkin.
7. Secure the paper to the pumpkin, pressing gently with your fingers to smooth out any bubbles and wrinkles. Be careful, otherwise the towel will tear.
8. Let the first coat dry completely before adding another piece of paper on top. Don't worry if the towel looks a bit wrinkled. This is okay, as the wrinkles will not really be visible after drying.
Drawn DIY pumpkin chinoiserie
The second technique to carry out this DIY pumpkin chinoiserie project is simply to draw the patterns using a permanent marker. Before starting your masterpiece, even out the color of your foam figure using spray paint. Make sure your countertop is well covered with paper or fabric to protect it. Wait until the paint is completely dry and after - experiment! Find patterns according to your preferences, according to the interior of your accommodation. Bet on Chinese letters, flowers or baroque patterns. You can write your initials like a real painter or draw a pretty landscape.
For the preparation of this pretty fall decoration, you can also use real pumpkins. They must be colored in white paint and then proceed with the chinoiserie techniques shown. There are many ways to decorate a faux pumpkin, but the chic chinoiserie style is perhaps the most stylish. With the prepared items, you can create a Halloween pumpkin arch to give a festive look to your home or a fall door wreath.
The fall decoration is very chic and magical this year! The editorial staff of Deavita.fr invites you to transform your interior into a true autumnal enchantment with our DIY candle holder tutorial to benefit from a soft and soothing atmosphere
Contemplate our selection of window decoration photos in autumn and choose the ideas that will bring good humor to your interior! Autumn leaves
If you want to think out of the box, we offer you a traditional fall decorating alternative - a pumpkin made from succulents
Autumn offers us a wide variety of natural materials and warm colors to use in table decoration. If you are looking to create a
In the following article, we will take a look at some of the most original and creative ideas of Halloween pumpkin decoration that