Table of contents:
Video: Chestnut Cream Recipe - THE Super Healthy Treat
2023 Author: Lynn Laird | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 21:10
While some people feel nostalgic for the summer, others enjoy the fall days which are full of romance. The walks in the park, the trees losing their pretty leaves, the scent of mandarins and cinnamon in the house, the rainy days that you look out of the window with a good book and a cup of tea … We love all these little things that create a warm and cozy atmosphere. If you are one of those people, you know that you can't miss the chestnuts! So, after showing you our selection of healthy fall recipes, it's time to give this fall fruit a special place with our cream of chestnut recipe.
Chestnut cream recipe that will delight your taste buds
Have you ever made a homemade grape jam and also tried our recipe for fig chutney, now you want to make something new? Rainy days are the best time to make a chestnut cream that you can keep over the winter. Use it for a cake, for weekend pancakes or for the ultimate recipe of the season - a delicious stuffed pumpkin. You have a lot to choose from, but the best part is you have it prepared. In addition, a jar of homemade chestnut cream is a nice gift idea for Christmas.
How to prepare the autumnal chestnut delight?
Well, to prepare your chestnut cream, you only need these 5 ingredients and 20 minutes of free time:
- 1 kg of chestnuts
- 750 g sugar
- 300 ml of water
- 1 vanilla pod
- A pinch of salt
If you can't find a vanilla bean, replace it with 1 tbsp. of vanilla extract. To save time you can bet on chestnuts in a jar, but we will show you how to cook them yourself.
So here are the steps to follow to prepare your super delicious cream:
- Mark your chestnuts with an "X", deep enough to cut off the outer skin, and put them in a pot of cold water. Bring the water to a boil and simmer for about ten minutes. Remove the chestnuts from the water and peel them. Keep the pot full of water, but turn off the heat.
- Return the chestnuts to the water and make sure they are covered with about an inch of water (pour in the excess hot water that is left in the pot). Then bring the water back to a boil and cook for another 15 minutes, until the chestnuts are very tender when pricked with a fork. Drain the chestnuts and remove any remaining water.
- In another saucepan, combine the sugar and water (300 ml) over medium-low heat and cook until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- In a food processor, mash the chestnuts with ¼ cup of the sugar syrup you have already made. Mix them well until the consistency is smooth.
- Transfer the chestnut puree to a saucepan and add all the rest of the sweet liquid. Add the vanilla extract (or the split vanilla bean) and salt. Over low heat, cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until the puree thickens and holds on your spoon.
How to store your homemade chestnut cream?
If you prepare the chestnut cream as explained above, you can keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days. To keep it longer, place the cream while still hot in jam jars. Close them and turn them over until cool. The goal is to expel the air and thus you will preserve them for up to a year.
Chestnut cream - a delicious and healthy recipe
We love chestnuts and all the desserts made from them. They remind us that Christmas is almost here and their smell makes us even more impatient. But apart from the taste of chestnuts, there are still a few reasons to love them and add them to our seasonal menu. Unlike most nuts, chestnuts are low in protein and fat and primarily provide complex carbohydrates. That doesn't mean they skimp on essential nutrients. Chestnuts provide vitamins and minerals that are beneficial for your body from head to toe. They are rich in fiber, vitamins C and B6, magnesium, manganese, potassium and copper. All these ingredients make our cream of chestnut recipe a favorite dessert.
How to use the prepared cream?
In case you've made more cream than you and your family can consume in 4 days, you can save the rest, but here are some more ideas to try:
- Chestnut cream is an incredible addition to a gourmet smoothie that will invigorate you in winter.
- Forget the peanut butter and use the chestnut cream in your sandwich! It combines perfectly with fromage blanc.
- In a small saucepan, mix the chestnut cream with a little heavy cream and chocolate. Whisk over moderate heat to obtain an incredible ganache ideal for ice creams and other desserts.
Experiment and find your favorite recipe. It's up to you ! Enjoy your meal !