Table of contents:
- The front door gets a makeover with a DIY Halloween decoration designed in the spirit of the holiday
Video: DIY Halloween Decoration - 9 Horrifying Wiper Mat Ideas
Halloween is fast approaching! Have you prepared for the spookiest party of the year? Sure you have some cool siding but what about the exterior? Ornaments for the patio and garden should be waterproof and durable as inclement weather can destroy them. Door wreaths are the most popular and easiest DIY Halloween decoration of any material and in fall colors. Carve pumpkins and set up paper lanterns. Have you also thought of a spooky doormat? It's a great idea for welcoming your guests. How to do ? Find the easy tutorials in the text below!
The front door gets a makeover with a DIY Halloween decoration designed in the spirit of the holiday
Halloween patio decorations show your neighbors (and anyone passing by) that you're having fun on October 31st. Crows, spiders, skulls and witches invade your exterior in the form of a towel mat and create a magical atmosphere. We have selected for you the easiest projects to implement that require the least time and effort, and are also quite inexpensive. It's your turn !
Halloween brush mat "Skull and crossbones" - tutorial
What you will need:
- Vellum paper
- Black paint
- Rubber snakes
- Hot glue gun
1. Get a solid color brush mat first. Also prepare the stencil. For this purpose, print a chosen template from the Internet - there are plenty of them. Consider then tracing the image on vellum paper. Make sure to use a very sharp knife or craft knife to cut it out without tearing the paper.
2. The other thing to do is place the stencil on your doormat. Once you've found a position you're happy with, all you need to do is apply acrylic paint respecting the contours of the image. If necessary, apply several times to the same spot to be sure the paint has penetrated.
3. Once the paint is dry, lay out the rug in front of your front door and start adding snakes using hot glue. That's it !
DIY Halloween decoration - doormat "The little ghost"
- Virgin coconut fiber mat
- Self-adhesive vinyl paper
- Masking tape
- Black spray paint
How to do ?
1. First, you need to create the designs for your stencils. Since they are very simple, you won't even need to print them, but can directly reproduce them on adhesive vinyl paper.
2. Next, cut out the stencils and attach them to the doormat. Cover the rest of the mat surface with masking tape.
3. Apply the black paint directly on top of the mat, making sure to spray the stencils well.
4. Finally, remove the vinyl patterns as soon as you are satisfied with the coverage and let dry for at least 24 hours.
"Spider" foot towel - tutorial
- Solid color doormat
- Orange paint
- Black paint
- Cardboard spider stencil
- Paint brushes
1. The first thing to do is to apply orange paint to the carpet in the form of thick vertical lines.
2. When the paint is dry, place the stencil in the middle of the towel and color the spider image with black paint.
3. As soon as you have a painted spider, you can create the web. Start by connecting each leg to the edge of the doormat using masking tape. Then adjust the lines obtained by several other lines of tape.
4. Paint the spider web with black paint.
5. Remove the tape when dry. Your scary decor is ready!
"Crow" front door mat - a DIY Halloween decoration like no other
- Coconut fiber doormat
- Raven image to print
- Black spray paint
- Masking tape
How to proceed ?
1. Lay the coir mat on a paintable surface (eg drop cloth).
2. Cut out your stencil downloaded from the Internet.
3. Lay the pattern on top of the rug and secure it firmly in place with duct tape.
4. Spray spray paint all over the stencil to color well.
5. Let dry 1 to 2 minutes or until the paint is no longer shiny.
6. Remove the stencil. Complete your Halloween outdoor decor with this very original rug!
Make yourself a doormat for Halloween "Bat"
What do you need:
- Blank doormat
- Card stock
- Spray paint - white and black
- Craft knife
- Masking tape
1. First, print your models on thicker paper. If you use regular printer paper, the paint will permeate. Then cut with a cutter.
2. Start with the big bats and tie them to the mat with sticky tape. Attach the moon to the opposite corner as well.
3. Place your mat on a protected surface, then cover the areas you do not want exposed.
4. Paint your bats black and your moon white. Regarding the moon, spray several coats of white paint. Do not soak the doormat and allow it to dry between coats.
5. Remove the stencils and let dry.
6. Attach your little bat stencil to the top corner where the moon is. Do the same as you did before with covering some areas so you don't have paint where you don't want it on your Halloween doormat. Spray light coats of black paint again and let dry.
7. Remove the stencil.
DIY Halloween decoration - brush mat "Witch's feet"
- Old pair of black shoes with heels
- Black and white striped stockings
- Plastic bags
- "Welcome" brush mat
Fill the bottoms with plastic bags, being careful to respect the natural shape of the feet and the folds for the ankles. Leave the last 10 to 12 cm of the stockings empty. In this way, you will be able to glue the unpadded part under the doormat. Post in front of the front door to scare your visitors!
Do-it-yourself "Vampire's teeth" towel
- Jute doormat with rubber pad on the bottom
- Black marker
- White, black and red acrylic paint
- Medium sized brush
- Small brush
- Small paper plate
How to do ?
1. Grab the two short ends of your rectangular doormat and fold them together as if you were closing a book. With your pencil, draw a line from one corner of the doormat to the middle of the opposite side. Flip the "book" over and duplicate the same sloping line so that when your doormat is open you have something that looks like a semicircle.
2. With your box cutter, start cutting along your pencil line until you have a half-round doormat.
3. Using the black marker, draw four teeth (rectangles with slightly rounded edges) and two fangs in the middle of the doormat.
4. Pour a generous amount of white paint on your paper plate and start painting inside your drawn marks. If necessary, apply paint several times to the same spot to color the fibers in the nooks and crannies.
5. Let the white paint dry. Meanwhile, write a greeting of your choice using black paint.
6. Finally, add some red paint to the base of the fangs for more details. Blood is always a synonym of terror, right?
DIY "Spider Web" carpet in front of the door
Everything you need:
- black short hair semi-circle doormat
- white fabric paint
- fine bristle brush
1. First of all, paint straight lines. Start with the center line, then space the other lines as evenly as possible. Also, you can be very specific with this and measure everything if you want. However, it doesn't have to be perfect.
2. Then add curved lines between the straight lines. You may need to apply two coats of paint to make the lines clear enough. If you stain the wiper, don't worry! Carefully rub off excess paint with a damp cloth or baby wipe while the paint is still wet.
3. Cut the mat along the outside curved lines. So you will get the shape of a spider web.
4. Let dry completely and you are ready to display your fall outdoor decoration in front of the front door.
"Witch under the doormat" foot towel - DIY Halloween decoration
- Solid Color Ribbed Doormat
- Striped woman stockings
- White chalk
- White chalk marker
- Hot glue
- Witch's hat
- Thicker cardboard in yellow and black
1. Print the wording of your choice on plain printer paper.
2. Lay your print on a plain surface and start going through the letters, filling them in with your white chalk.
3. Turn the print over and place it on your doormat in the desired position and secure it with tape.
4. Rub the letters one by one with a pencil without an eraser, trying to keep your paper in its original position.
5. Remove the paper and you will find the lettering imprinted on the mat. Go back over your design with the chalk marker to make the letters even more visible.
6. Finally, you have to put on the witch's hat and feet. To create the feet, cut out black cardboard shoes and yellow cardboard buckles. Also cut the striped stockings to the desired length and glue the lower part above the shoes and the upper part under the door mat.
Fun text ideas to write
- The neighbors have better candy
- I'm behind you
- Trick or treat
- We are all crazy here
- Don't let the little ones escape
- Happy Halloween
We hope you had fun with our easy and inexpensive DIY Halloween projects. Finally, the party can only come once a year, but this type of decoration can be designed to fit any season!
* Sources: Halloween brush mat "Skull and Crossbones" - cbc.ca
Doormat "The little ghost" - by-pink.com
Halloween "Spider" towel - seevanessacraft.com
"Raven" Door Front Mat - lollyjane.com
Halloween Doormat "Bat" - diycandy.com
Halloween Doormat "Witch's Feet" - hellocentralavenue.com
"Vampire's Teeth" foot towel - creativelive.com
Carpet - Halloween brush "Spider web" - deliacreates.com
"Witch Under Door Mat" Foot Towel - southerncrushathome.com