Table of contents:
Video: Edible Hemp Butter - Easy To Test Recipe
2023 Author: Lynn Laird | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 09:49
Since September 2020, scientists in France have started trials with therapeutic cannabis. So far, the use of this plant has been authorized in the Netherlands, Canada, Germany, Switzerland and Norway. Even so, products that contain the two main components of the plant - CBD and THC continue to gain popularity all over the world. So, after introducing you to CBD oil, it's time to take stock of edible hemp butter. In this article, you will find all the information you need - its benefits, use, risks and side effects + an easy recipe to prepare at home.
What is edible hemp butter and how is it used?
In short, as the name suggests, hemp butter is a combination of cannabis and butter. In other words, it is a food product that combines the useful with the pleasant. It is most often used to make cannabis edible, especially in baked goods like cookies and brownies.
Photo credit: emilykylenutrition.com
Cannabis contains two main compounds known as cannabinoids: tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD). THC is a psychoactive compound that induces the high effect, whereas CBD does not have exactly the same purpose. Indeed, it's just the opposite, CBD works against THC to limit its properties. Depending on the intended use, hemp butter may contain only CBD or both CBD and THC.
Why use cannabis in the kitchen?
Cannabis sativa offers many health benefits and that is why it is more and more accepted as a natural treatment for various diseases and conditions. The butter produced from the plant is a smoke-free option and can be used in various edible cannabis products, making it a popular choice. From a scientific point of view, cannabinoids are lipophilic, that is, they dissolve in fat and attach to it. When cannabinoids are extracted with fat, they are more easily absorbed and therefore easier to be assimilated by our body. We have already explained to you how CBD works and what its role in biological processes is. All you have to do is give you the recipe for making hemp butter at home.
Recipe for homemade hemp butter
Although it is possible to buy hemp butter at organic stores, many people choose to make their own butter. To craft it correctly, follow these steps:
1. Start by cooking the plant, as this is a very important step that activates the molecules of the main components CBD and THC. On heating these compounds, they undergo decarboxylation - also called decarburization. So, preheat your oven to 115 ° C and place 14 grams of cannabis on a baking sheet. Let cook for about 30-40 minutes. If you are using fresh cannabis, you may need to cook it for up to an hour. Conversely, if you are using older, drier cannabis, reduce the cooking time to around 20 minutes. Be sure to stir and turn the cannabis every 10 minutes to prevent it from burning. You will know it is decarbonylated when its color changes from a light green to a dark brown green.
Finally, make sure your oven does not exceed 115 ° C, as this can destroy important petroleum compounds called terpenes. These compounds are responsible for the smell, taste and medicinal effects of the plant.
2. Once the cannabis is activated, you will need:
- 14 grams of decarboxylated cannabis
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 225 g butter
- 1 medium saucepan with a lid
- 1 wooden spoon
- 2 cheese cloths
- 1 medium sized glass bowl or container
Over very low heat, bring the water to a boil, then add the butter. When the butter has completely melted, stir well and add the cannabis to the mixture. Put the lid on and simmer for 3-4 hours. Be sure to stir the mixture every 20-30 minutes to prevent it from burning. The mixture is ready when it is thick and shiny on top.
3. Once the butter has cooled, pour it over the cheesecloth funnel and let it filter freely. By squeezing the cheesecloth, you run the risk of passing more tasteless plant matter through it.
4. Allow the remaining liquid to cool to room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Then place the bowl in the refrigerator until the butter has completely separated from the water and appears as a thick top layer.
5. Store butter for up to a week in the fridge or 6 months in the freezer.
Important things to know
Although edible hemp butter is edible, there are some important side effects to consider. Unlike smoking or evaporating, it can be difficult to find an appropriate dosage for edible cannabis products due to the different concentrations of THC. When making edible cannabis products at home, it is best to use half of cannabis butter and the other half of regular butter. However, you can test smaller doses of hemp butter to avoid overconsumption. Remember to check if the product you are buying is legalized in your region or country.
Mother's Day will be here soon! And to please gourmet moms, Deavita.fr shows you how to make an edible bouquet to eat
The editorial staff of Deavita.fr continues to reveal the latest trends related to Christmas decorations. This time, we'll give you an amazing project to do: find out how to make edible decorations to adorn the Christmas tree
Have you made a gingerbread cookie? Fragrant and super delicious, these delicacies are a great choice as a Christmas gift to give to loved ones. In addition, they are also an original and creative ornament to accessorize the Christmas tree
Want to add variety to your diet? Look no further and bet on mushrooms! And to avoid all kinds of mistakes, here is our informative little guide to learn how to recognize an edible and inedible mushroom
If there is a time of year when baking is the place to be, it may be the fall season. Between the pines, the mini pumpkins, the leaves in sugar paste, you are sure to find an original and 100% edible idea for an autumn cake decoration worthy of the name, whatever the occasion