Table of contents:
Video: Gingerbread Pancakes - A Tasty Christmas Recipe
This year we give a festive air to every little element of our interior, exterior and even to the food! We do not only prepare the Christmas decoration, but also the thematic menu. And when we talk about winter, what better than a little gourmet spices! We love them because they always awaken warm memories of moments spent with our loved ones. So add them to wine, coffee, tea or even a Christmas cake! Everything is possible ! That is why we have chosen a recipe for you that will give new life to the classic breakfast. Get ready for a wonderful weekend with gingerbread pancakes! Yum !
Gingerbread pancakes - a festive breakfast
Who doesn't like pancakes or gingerbread? So today we combine them in the ultimate recipe for a Christmas breakfast full of joy and smiles! We promise you this recipe is super easy and plus you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry. Gingerbread pancakes are so mouthwatering that you can't leave them out. So without further ado, here are all the ingredients for this irresistible delicacy:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp. 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 C. 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ c. 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of cloves
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of allspice
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 C. 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cooking spray or butter, according to your preferences
To serve, we advise you to use the products in the list below, but of course you can garnish them with anything you want. You can even sprinkle them with a little edible sprinkle. It's Christmas anyway!
- Confectionery sugar
- Whipped cream
How to make festive pancakes for Christmas?
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and allspice.
2. In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk with molasses, egg and vanilla extract. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until well combined. Be careful not to stir too much.
3. Heat a large skillet or baking sheet over medium-high heat. When hot, spray it lightly with non-stick cooking spray or grease it with a small amount of butter.
4. Working in batches, pour dough balls (about ½ cup each) onto the griddle. Cook until bubbles start to appear on the surface of the pancakes and the underside is golden brown. It takes about 3 minutes. Then, flip the pancake and cook it until golden brown on the other side. Normally, it will take you about 2 minutes longer. Repeat with the rest of the pancake batter.
5. Serve immediately, garnishing with icing sugar and whipped cream, if necessary.
How to serve breakfast to enhance its taste?
You can decorate your Christmas pancakes with fruit, for example, to seduce children. But here is a sweet sauce recipe that will certainly replace the famous maple syrup.
You need the following ingredients to make a gingerbread syrup:
- A 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, cut into thin slices
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown soft sugar
- 1 C. tablespoon molasses
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup of water
- 5 cloves
- 1 star anise
Syrup is also easy to prepare. Just simmer slices of fresh ginger with sugar, molasses, cinnamon, cloves, star anise and a little water for about 15 minutes. Then filter the liquid and you're done. Gingerbread syrup tastes fantastic on pancakes - sweet, rich, and spicy, but it's also great in coffee! It keeps well in the refrigerator, ready for pancakes or homemade gingerbread slats whenever you want.
Jams are also a good idea to garnish your gingerbread pancakes. The choice is really huge. There is one for every taste and you can make them yourself too. Choose for example a raisin jam or bet on a healthy recipe of jam without sugar. For a quick dessert at the last moment, you can also make a no-cook jam. It only takes a few minutes to prepare it. In addition, this method allows you to retain the beneficial properties of fresh fruit.
Sometimes the spices are enough to consume the pancakes just with a glass of juice