Table of contents:
Video: New Year's Meal 2020: Complete Menu From Starter To Dessert
Whether you want to get together with a host of friends for a traditional New Year's Eve party or are planning a more intimate evening, you must certainly mark the last day of this tumultuous year with a good dinner. That means, for example, a festive layered salad and no-bake appetizers that will kick off the evening, delicious dishes that will steal the show, an iconic dessert and of course, a cocktail or two, at a time. to send the last 365 days and to toast all that 2021 has to offer. To make it easier for you to decide what to serve your guests, we've put together some tasty recipes to compose a 2020 New Year's Eve meal worthy of its name.
New Year's Eve 2020 meal at the top with easy and appetizing recipes
Create a stunning New Year's Eve dinner menu with these special occasion recipes that will impress even your sweet tooth. We have also prepared ideas for aromatic cocktails to sip. In short, here you will find everything you need for the ultimate feast of 2020.
Set the tone for your 2020 New Years meal even more by creating a list with some of the best New Year's Eve songs or playing a game. In case you preferred to celebrate the night only with your sweetheart, check out our article on what to do on December 31 as a couple!
Spinach Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Pears and Pomegranate
For the sweet potatoes:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into ½ cubes
- 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (or coconut sugar or maple syrup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground pepper
For the pecans:
½ cup of pecans
For the salad:
- 170g spinach (about 8-10 cups spinach)
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 pears, thinly sliced
- ½ cup of goat cheese (feta)
For the vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- ½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200 ° C. In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, brown sugar, minced garlic, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and pour the mixture on top. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are fork tender and a little crispy around the edges, stirring a bit halfway through cooking.
2. While the sweet potatoes are cooking, you can toast the pecans in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 2 to 5 minutes until fragrant and lightly browned around the edges.. Remove from the heat and transfer to a cutting board. After a few minutes, chop into large pieces. Set aside.
3. In a mason jar or small bowl, add all of the dressing ingredients. Shake well to combine. Taste and add additional salt / pepper if needed.
4. In a large bowl, add the spinach, pomegranate seeds, pear slices and cooked sweet potatoes. Garnish with toasted pecans and goat cheese. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing, then toss to coat.
Easy New Year's appetizers
- 1 baguette
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1 / 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 12 slices of roast chicken
- 1/4 cup apple jelly
- 1/4 cup canned figs
- 24 fresh spinach leaves
- 120 g of Brie cheese
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven. Cut the baguette into 24 slices. Then place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Mix the mayonnaise and garlic; distribute evenly over baguette slices. Add half a slice of chicken on top. Then mix the apple jelly and the figs; distribute evenly over chicken.
2. Add a spinach leaf to each slice, along with a piece of cheese. Garnish with 3 cranberries. Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving this ideal starter for a New Year's Eve 2020 meal.
New Year's main dish recipe: Beef tenderloin with bordelaise sauce
- 1 whole beef tenderloin, trimmed and tied
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- probe thermometer
For the bordelaise sauce:
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 4 large shallots, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of flour
- 2 cups of dry red wine
- 3 cups of beef broth
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
1. First, let your meat sit at room temperature for an hour before roasting it. Next, preheat the oven to 140 ° C and place the fillet on a baking sheet. Rub generously on all sides with olive oil, kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Insert a probe thermometer in the center. Roast on the middle oven rack until the desired internal temperature is reached. Rare: 40-50 ° C. Rare medium: 51-54 ° C. Medium: 57-60 ° C.
2. Second, remove the thermometer, then move the baking sheet to the upper oven rack and raise the temperature to 220 ° C. Watch closely until the meat is nicely browned on top. Then go back to the other side. Repeat until all 4 sides are golden.
3. Third, remove from oven, cover with foil and let stand for at least 15 to 20 minutes or more. Slice and serve with bordelaise sauce.
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots with a pinch of salt, then cook until softened and just starting to turn golden, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the flour, red wine and beef broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened and reduced by half.
3. Place a fine mesh strainer on another saucepan, then strain the mixture until the last drop of liquid is extracted. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Finally, add the butter with a whisk.
4. Serve immediately.
New Year's Eve Vegetarian Meal: Cheese Lasagna
- 3 cups of ricotta
- 3 cups of grated mozzarella
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 beaten egg
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- cooking spray
- 1 cup of Marinara sauce
- 450 g lasagna pasta without precooking
- chopped basil for garnish
- chopped parsley for garnish
For the Marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil or 3 tablespoons of water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 800 g of peeled tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons of chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
In a medium saucepan, pour oil or water and cook the garlic for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
1. First, preheat the oven to 180 ° C. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, 2 cups of mozzarella, 1 cup of Parmesan, Italian seasoning and egg until blended. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Grease a 23 cm x 33 cm baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread a thick layer of Marinara on the bottom. Add a layer of lasagna pasta, then ¾ cup of sauce and ¾ cup of cheese mixture. Repeat 5 or 6 times (depending on the depth of your pan), ending with the sauce. Finally, garnish with 1 cup of the remaining mozzarella.
3. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bring the oven to 200 ° C. Wait until the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes more. Leave to rest for 15 minutes.
4. Garnish with basil and parsley before serving.
Light New Year's Dessert: Gluten Free White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake
This year, change the traditional chocolate log for a healthy dessert that even people with gluten intolerance can enjoy.
For the cookie base
- 320 g of gluten-free cookies
- 150g butter
For the cream
- 500 g of mascarpone
- 100 g icing sugar
- 250 g of white chocolate
- 300 ml double cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 275 g fresh raspberries
- pieces of white chocolate
- fresh raspberries
1. First, crush your gluten-free cookies. To make it easier for you, place them in a transparent plastic bag and hit them with a rolling pin.
2. Second, melt the butter and pour it over the cookies. Mix well. Next, press your cookie mixture into a mold to form the base of your cheesecake. Store in the refrigerator to cool while you prepare the cream.
3. Third, melt your white chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler. Let cool.
Meanwhile, mix the mascarpone, icing sugar and vanilla extract with an electric mixer. Add the double cream and continue to mix until the preparation hardens a little. Then, pour in the melted white chocolate and combine briefly. Stir in the fresh raspberries (whole or crushed).
4. Fourth, spread the cream on top of the cookie base and place the cheesecake in the fridge to cool overnight.
5. To decorate, place pieces of white chocolate, raspberries and also grate white chocolate on top. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. It will definitely be the cherry on your New Year 2020 meal!
New Year's drink idea: Hot sangria
- 2 bottles of red wine with fruity notes
- 3 cups of apple cider
- 3 apples, cored and sliced
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 2 oranges, cut with the skin
- 2/3 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup of red liqueur
- 6-7 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon of cloves
Add all the ingredients in a casserole dish and cook over low heat until the fruits give off their flavors and colors. Serve with fresh fruit and cinnamon sticks.
New Year's cocktail with champagne, grapefruit and rosemary
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary plus smaller sprigs for garnish
- 1 bottle (750 ml) chilled dry champagne
- 2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
1. In a small saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a boil over medium heat. Add the sprigs of rosemary and stir. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let steep for 15 minutes. Cut off the sprigs of rosemary and discard them.
2. To serve, fill eight glasses slightly less than halfway with champagne. Top each with about ¼ cup of grapefruit juice and 2 teaspoons of rosemary syrup. Add a little more juice or champagne depending on your preference. Decorate with the smaller sprigs of rosemary and serve. Delicious addition to your 2020 New Years meal, right?