Table of contents:
Video: Caramelized Nuts: Some Recipes To Lick Your Fingers
As the end of the year celebrations approach, you probably have a specific idea on which main course you are going to treat your loved ones with. But since the festive meal isn't all about a turkey stuffed with chestnuts, it's still important to think about the extra preparations that will make your guests lick their fingers. Think for example of a cheese platter in the shape of a tree as an unusual aperitif, a Christmas cheesecake for dessert and a bowl of Christmas punch that will provide the festive spirit to your guests. To show off plenty, don't hesitate to serve a platter of caramelized nuts so you and your friends can snack between the different dishes.
In which recipes to use caramelized nuts?
Crunchy and delicious, caramelized nuts can be nibbled with and without occasion. Easy to make, they are perfect to take to work or school for lunch. You can even slip a handful into the Christmas cookie box to accompany appetizing cookies and cupcakes. Healthy or coated in chocolate, nuts are a satisfying snack that young and old alike love. Nuts, hazelnuts, pecans or almonds: you have plenty of choices. Prepare to garnish cakes and cakes, to decorate creams and mousses or just to better enjoy a glass of whiskey. Caramelized nuts have a deserved place on the festive table. Here are some delicious recipes to prepare to delight your loved ones.
• ½ cup of coconut sugar (64 g)
• ¼ tsp. teaspoon salt
• ¼ cup filtered water
• 2 cups pecans (200 g)
* 1-2 tsp. additional coconut sugar to sprinkle on top for added crunch
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Place the sugar, salt and water in a medium nonstick saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar crystals.
3. Once the mixture begins to bubble, add the pecans to the pot and cook until all the liquid has evaporated, about 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently. The nuts will start to stick together and you will see very fine strands of sugar appear.
4. At this point, remove the pan from the heat and transfer the caramelized nuts to the paper-lined baking sheet.
5. Separate the nuts carefully to prevent them from sticking. Sprinkle them with additional coconut sugar, then let them cool completely.
Recipe for caramelized nuts with maple syrup
• 1 cup of raw walnuts
• ¼ cup of pure maple syrup
• 2 pinches of salt
1. Place nuts and maple syrup in a small non-stick skillet over medium heat.
2. When the syrup begins to bubble, reduce the heat to low. Simmer gently for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. When the maple syrup is almost completely evaporated, stir continuously until the liquid is cooked and the nuts begin to stick together.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the nuts to a sheet of baking paper, spreading them out in a layer.
5. Sprinkle with salt and let cool to room temperature.
Caramelized pecans and nuts with spices
• 1 cup of raw pecans
• 1 cup of raw nuts
• 1 ½ tsp. tablespoon of melted coconut oil
• 2 tbsp. tablespoon coconut sugar
• 1 tbsp. of ground cinnamon
• 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
• 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
• ¼ tsp. sea salt
• 2 tsp. maple syrup (divided)
1. Preheat the oven to 176 ° C.
2. Spread the nuts and pecans on a baking sheet and top with coconut oil, coconut sugar, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, ground nutmeg, salt and 1 Tbsp. of maple syrup. Stir to coat.
3. Bake for a total of 12-15 minutes or until the nuts are golden and fragrant. Stir at least once halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking.
4. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and immediately sprinkle with the remaining maple syrup. Depending on your taste, you can sprinkle the nuts with salt, cinnamon and coconut sugar. Stir to coat.
5. Eat them hot or let them cool before placing them in an airtight container.
Gourmet turtles with chocolate and caramelized pecans
• 4 cups of pecan halves
• ½ cup unsalted butter
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• ½ cup corn syrup
• ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
• ½ tsp. 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 225 g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
• Sea salt flakes for sprinkling (optional)
1. For the pecans: Preheat the oven to 176 ° C. Spread the pecans out on a baking sheet and toast for 6 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
2. For gourmet turtles: Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly grease with a non-stick cooking spray.
3. Arrange the grilled pecans on the prepared leaves, grouping them by 5, in a star shape. Book.
4. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add the sugar, corn syrup, condensed milk and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture reaches 112 ° C on your thermometer. Remove the pot from the heat and start whisking vigorously for 30 seconds. Set aside for 5 minutes.
5. Once this time has elapsed, take a spoonful of the melted caramel and pour it over a cluster of pecans. Repeat until all the clumps are filled. Book.
6. Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler, stirring occasionally with a silicone spatula. Pour in about 1 tsp. of melted chocolate on each pile of caramelized pecans. Reserve at room temperature until the chocolate sets, about 1 hour.
7. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
A recipe for lovers of caramelized hazelnuts
• ½ cup brown sugar
• 1 egg white, beaten
• ½ tsp. teaspoon salt
• ½ tsp. of vanilla extract
• ¼ tsp. 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 3 cups blanched or raw hazelnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 120 ° C.
2. Place the brown sugar, egg white, salt, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl and whisk. Add the hazelnuts, toss to coat.
3. Spread them out in a layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 50 minutes or until crispy and toasted. Stir every 15 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and let cool completely before placing in an airtight container.
Sources: Caramelized pecans: frommybowl.com
Caramelized pecans and nuts with spices: minimalistbaker.com
Gourmet chocolate turtles and caramelized pecans: bakerbynature.com