Table of contents:
Video: Small U-shaped Kitchen: The Golden Rules To Respect When Setting Up
Whether small or large, the kitchen must above all be pleasant and functional. If you value practical organization, the right layout of the space is essential. The U-shaped kitchen counter is the perfect solution to make the most of the room while benefiting from plenty of storage space. Two particularly advantageous points when you want a streamlined place and have limited space. Compact and clever, the small U-shaped kitchen fits harmoniously into homes of modest size. Here are some ideas and tips for decorating and decorating yours and achieving the best possible result.
Designing a small U-shaped kitchen: the golden rules for a good start
In general, it is for lack of space that we choose the U-shaped kitchen plan. This organization allows to occupy the space perfectly and adapts as well to U-shaped kitchens open to the living room as those that are closed. Logic dictates that everything is well thought out in order to optimize this location as well as possible. Here are some basic rules to follow to make your small U-shaped kitchen an ergonomic and space-saving place:
- Clear a corridor large enough (at least 2 meters wide, if possible) to ensure smooth traffic.
- Opt for suitable furniture, ideally tailor-made: corner cupboards, wardrobes with sliding curtains (practical for storing small appliances), small-depth wardrobes, suitable appliances, etc.
- In the same spirit of saving space, opt for a tailor-made work plan. This is essential for cooking but also to take care of the aesthetics of the room, so do not take it lightly.
- Prefer to install a sink (ideally 40 or 50 cm wide) equipped with a drainer. It will help you save space.
- Bet on a compact cooking plate (with 2 burners) to gain a few centimeters on the worktop.
- Don't underestimate the role of lighting. In a small U-shaped kitchen, a good amount of light will help to add volume and make the room bigger while creating a pleasant atmosphere.
- If possible, install a glass roof between the kitchen and the living room to gain more light.
- A small U-shaped kitchen is not necessarily delimited by three walls: it can also be made up of 2 sides and 1 bar area for breakfasts. The perfect place to have a cup of coffee before going to work!
What types of storage in a small U-shaped kitchen?
When it comes to fitting out a small U-shaped kitchen, the choice of smart storage is a key word. First, consider installing the closets up to the ceiling. Warning: use one of the two large walls 100% by installing storage over the entire height and length but leave the other blank. The small wall at the back can also house a few cupboards and cupboards below and above the sink. Vary the colors to avoid the feeling of confinement.
If possible, opt for sliding doors that are practical and space-saving. To make better use of the walls, do not hesitate to attach floating shelves all around the refrigerator and up to the ceiling to store cups and glasses or even jars of spices and herbs. Hang up your utensils to gain more surface area on the worktop.
How to decorate a small U-shaped kitchen?
Although compact, the small U-shaped kitchen deserves to be nicely decorated. A few touches of freshness and cheerfulness will suffice perfectly! Start by choosing the style of the room. A modern Scandinavian or rustic decor will perfectly suit the modest-sized space. Prefer light and natural colors which will enlarge it visually.
Feel free to add a few touches of bright color to energize the monochrome ensemble. Dressing a wall with patterned wallpaper is also a great idea to liven up the kitchen and give it character without cluttering it up. A few easy-to-maintain green plant pots are the perfect addition to purify the air and breathe a natural touch into the interior.