Table of contents:
Video: Mosquito Bite: What Solutions To Consider To Protect Yourself
With the arrival of the sun, the warming temperatures and the longer days, no one wants to stay locked between four walls. Summer is here, outside, and invites us to go out and have fun in the open air. But the little hassles inherent in this season are not lacking. Mosquito bites are one of the most common summer annoyances after sunburn. These cause itching and skin irritation which is not dangerous in the majority of cases. But serious allergic reactions and fatal tropical diseases, such as malaria, are not excluded, so be careful, especially with children. Learn more about the risks of mosquito bites and how to get rid of biting insects.
Why do mosquitoes bite?
Are you one of those people who always seem to get bitten by mosquitoes? As soon as the temperatures start to rise, these intruders emerge to find a source of blood. In fact, it's only female mosquitoes that bite (males only consume the nectar of flowers and plants). The proteins in the blood provide them with the energy necessary to lay 100 to 300 eggs at a time and allow them to mature. The conclusion to be drawn is obvious: preventing a mosquito from biting helps stop its reproduction. The elimination of mosquitoes is therefore an issue that should not be taken lightly because it concerns the comfort and safety of the whole family. The choice of an effective mosquito repellent is therefore essential.
To locate their prey, mosquitoes mainly rely on their sense of smell. Insects can perceive certain odors at around 10 meters, such as that of lactic acid present in sweat. Another peculiar smell that attracts intruders is carbon dioxide released by mouth and nasal exhalation. Researchers believe that certain hormones also prove to be a factor of attractiveness for female mosquitoes in search of prey. In this perspective, the pregnant woman or in period of ovulation is more stung. It should still be emphasized that it depends on the body temperature at that time which is more or less pleasant for the insect.
Why the mosquito bite can be dangerous
By biting, the mosquito injects saliva into the wound. This substance plays an anticoagulant and analgesic role at the same time, which facilitates the feast of the insect by allowing it to feed without being disturbed. The pimples caused by the bites are very itchy and can cause a more or less serious infection if they are scratched until blood. In some cases, mosquito saliva can cause an allergic inflammatory reaction in susceptible people, especially children. Despite their small size, these insects are considered very dangerous all over the world because they are carriers and transmitters of various viruses and diseases from humans to animals and vice versa. Some of the diseases attributed to mosquitoes are:
- Zika virus (transmitted by mosquitoes of the genus Aedes);
- West Nile virus (mainly transmitted by mosquitoes of the genus Culex);
- Heartworm disease or heartworm disease. It can affect dogs and cats just like humans. (Transmission by mosquitoes belonging to the genera Culex, Aedes and Anopheles);
- Eastern Equine Encephalomyelitis Virus;
- Western Equine Encephalomyelitis Virus;
- Malaria or Malaria (spread by the bite of certain Anopheles mosquitoes);
- Dengue fever (caused by the bites of Aedes mosquitoes);
- La Crosse encephalitis virus (LACV);
- Saint-Louis encephalitis virus (VESL).
A simple mosquito bite can be fatal, both for humans and animals. Eliminating them is therefore important for everyone's health and life.
How to eliminate mosquitoes?
As the beautiful season approaches, many people are looking for solutions to control mosquitoes in the garden. A lot of people prefer to rely on natural products (essential oils, citronella or lavender candles) or even on anti-mosquito plants. Of course, their effectiveness is interesting, but they give you no guarantees. In order to offer you reliable mosquito protection, it is better to opt for a new generation product, intended for the fight against biting insects.
- There are nowadays technologically advanced traps, the most effective of which can eliminate over 80% of the mosquito population in your garden. For example, a Biogents Mosquitaire mosquito trap can boast a very high capture rate and protection covering an area of 200 m2. The machine simulates human presence by mimicking certain secretions that attract insects. A fan then sucks them from the bottom of the trap. The most important thing is that such a mosquito repellent device is environmentally friendly and does not present any danger to children and pets.
- You can still bet on a nomadic mosquito repellent. Ephemeral but formidable, this diffuser works like a shield protecting an area of over 20 m2. The Thermacell brand is specialized in this type of repellent.
- Do not forget either the traps designed to encourage mosquito laying and thus facilitate the elimination of larvae. Devices of this kind are very easy to install and use. These help to drastically reduce the population of biting insects in the garden. The Biogent brand offers the BG GAT trap model which is formidable against larvae.