Table of contents:
- What is Gua Sha massage and what are its benefits for the skin?
- How to do a Gua Sha facial massage yourself and what is the right technique?
Video: Gua Sha Facial Massage: The New Miraculous Beauty Treatment
2023 Author: Lynn Laird | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 21:10
All women dream of having flawless and beautiful skin. From the dermaplaning method to the spirulina mask, including kakui oil and konjac sponge: the beauty market is booming. The offer of products and cosmetics that promise us a fresher and more youthful look these days is so vast that it is difficult for us to choose the treatment that would work best for our skin type. If you feel lost in the face of so many choices, this article will make your life easier by lifting the veil on a miraculous face massage. Gua Sha massage has been used for thousands of years in traditional Chinese medicine and is currently enjoying increasing popularity around the world. In addition to making the skin glowing, the technique used reduces the formation of wrinkles and relieves headaches. Are you curious about what Gua Sha face massage is and how is it performed? This article explains.
Gua Sha massage has its origins in traditional Chinese medicine. This ancient practice is actually a very important part of folk medicine, especially in Southeast Asia and East Asia. Very inexpensive compared to overpriced skin care and incredibly effective - it's not for nothing that dermatologists around the world are calling this treatment "the best beauty tool of the millennium". Gua Sha not only ensures a radiant and healthy complexion, but can also help fight colds and relieve headaches and back pain. More and more celebrities and beauty influencers are swearing by the positive effects of practicing Gua Sha on the face regularly.
What is Gua Sha massage and what are its benefits for the skin?
Gua Sha massage is a kind of stimulation therapy that was originally used only for medical purposes. In Chinese, the words "gua" and "sha" mean "scratching" and "disease" respectively. To heal the body, energetic rubbing is carried out thanks to which all kinds of physical ailments are eliminated: fatigue, stress, muscle pain, etc. A jade stone is used to work on the lymphatic circulation. Thus, toxins are flushed out of the body and the circulation of blood and energies is stimulated.
The benefits of Gua Sha facial massage
The main role of Gua Sha massage is to relieve tension in facial muscles, promote blood circulation and lymphatic drainage in order to eliminate swelling. The method is therefore beneficial for our beauty but it is able to improve our general health. Below are some of the miraculous actions of the Gua Sha that you should know about:
- Gua Sha is an effective anti-aging and anti-wrinkle treatment: This massage technique from Asia activates acupressure points on the face. As a result, the muscles are toned and the skin on the face and neck becomes firmer. The relief of muscle contractions has an immediate anti-aging effect. There are fewer imperfections and visibly healthier skin. Regular practice helps detoxify the skin and flush out toxins.
- Massage against swelling: Consuming salty meals or having a food allergy can often lead to a build-up of lymph fluids and puffiness under the eyes. A Gua Sha session can stimulate and promote lymphatic drainage and thus minimize swelling. The technique can be done at home, so going to a specialist is not mandatory. Warning: you must know the pressure movements to avoid any risk of damaging your skin.
- The absorption of the treatments is improved: The pressure and gentle scratching promote blood circulation, thus allowing better oxygenation of the tissues. This ensures that the care will be better absorbed by the skin. The radiant complexion will also be restored.
- The flow of energy and circulation are brought into harmony: During the session, the acupressure points of the face are activated. This is beneficial for the circulation of blood and energies. Gua Sha massage is a great way to relieve neck tension and headaches.
How to do a Gua Sha facial massage yourself and what is the right technique?
The regular practice of Gua Sha facial massage guarantees you a miraculous and absolutely natural anti-aging effect. Although it is a pressure and scratch treatment, it is gentle and non-abrasive on the skin. The credit goes to the massage tool, namely a crystal or a stone of Gua Sha. Just slide the tool around the corners and follow the contours of the face, moving it in the same direction, always from the center of the face outward and bottom to top. To make the stone slide more easily, it is advisable to keep the skin taut with one hand and apply the tool to as wide an area as possible. Usually this type of massage lasts about 25-30 minutes. It is normal for small redness and bruising to appear immediately after treatment. These will go away after 2-3 days. Here's how to make your skin glow:
- Before starting the Gua Sham massage it is necessary to moisturize and oil your skin abundantly. This will help relax blockages and freshen the blood. Essential oils with a calming and nourishing effect (coconut oil, lavender oil and almond oil) are particularly suitable. Cacay oil and sesame oil are also used because they absorb toxins from the skin very well.
- Take your tool and hold it at a 30 or 45 degree angle to the skin. In order to activate the lymph and eliminate toxins, each area must be massaged at least 5 times.
- Always work from the bottom up. Start with the neck and slide the stone until you reach the chin. Place this in the hollow between the rounded tips of the tool, then slide it up to the ears following the contour of the jaw.
- For the cheeks, use the long, flat side of the Gua Sha. Start on the side of the nose going up to the temples.
- You must now decongest the eye area. Slide the rounded tip of the tool from the inner corner of the eye towards the temples. Finish by lightly massaging the temples.
- Then slide the tip of the tool along the eyebrows to the temples.
- Finally, smooth the forehead starting from the eyebrows towards the hairline.
How often to perform a Gua sha facial massage?
Gua Sha facial massage is recommended for use 2-3 times per week, but it largely depends on the results you want. After the session, the skin is irritated and it needs to rest. The effect is visible from the first use. It is best to perform the massage session in the evening.
Which crystals and stones to prefer for your Gua Sha facial massage?
In order to take full advantage of the benefits of Gua Sha facial massage, you must choose the right tool (crystal or stone). The quality of it is essential for the treatment to be truly effective. A fan of lithotherapy, you may know that each stone has specific properties. The most famous Qua Sha tools are those made of rose quartz, jade and obsidian.
- Gua Sha in rose quartz is very popular for its anti-aging, soothing and decongestant properties. This stone is perfect for sensitive and mature skin. Rose quartz is connected to the heart chakra and is considered to be the stone of love and appeasement.
- Black obsidian is a smooth and solid igneous rock. Its vitreous shine makes it a very beautiful beauty tool, ideal to give as a gift. By performing a massage with this stone, we benefit from:
- favored collagen production
- relief of facial tension
- faded wrinkles
- improved circulation
- improved lymphatic drainage
- relief from rosacea