Table of contents:
Video: Blue Latte - The Recipe For A Super Food Drink
After deciphering the famous pink latte, there is a new trend that is conquering social networks. A drink trend as colorful and healthy as golden coffee. We present to you the Blue Latte - the ideal hot cocktail for the morning, as well as for the evening. Why ? It contains no caffeine! It's surprising, isn't it? Despite its name, this drink does not contain coffee. It is therefore perfect for vegans and for those with an intolerance to gluten or dairy products. And that's not all! In this article, you are going to find all the benefits of the drink also called Smurf Latte + the authentic recipe of Australian origin, although the main ingredient comes from South Asia.
Blue Latte - the new super star on Instagram not to be missed
Blue latte is a drink containing a super food known as blue peas (Clitoria ternatea in Latin). It is not a type of berry or "smurfberries". It is a plant with pretty flowers that gives the drink the bright blue color. So, it is completely natural! This means that this cocktail has no artificial coloring.
Make yourself comfortable with this latte "café" to unwind before bed or whenever you want to reduce stress and escape the daily grind. It really is possible because of its beneficial health properties. Find more info in the next paragraph.
What are the benefits of Smurf latte?
Many customers seem to order the blue latte so they can post pictures on Instagram. But there are still a few reasons that make it so popular. Blue pea flowers are very well known in alternative medicine - Ayurveda. They are said to have been used as a pain reliever and to relieve insomnia, as well as for beauty reasons. The blue color of the flowers comes from anthocyanins which are water soluble compounds found naturally in some black, blue, purple and red plants. The flowers also contain antioxidants which protect against the damaging effects of free radicals and premature aging.
According to traditional Ayurvedic medicine, the plant has various qualities, including memory stimulating, nootropic, anti-inflammatory, anti-stress, anxiolytic, antidepressant, anticonvulsant, tranquilizer and sedative properties. In traditional Chinese medicine, it is attributed with properties affecting female libido due to its appearance similar to that of the female reproductive organ (hence its Latin name actually).
How to make a blue latte - the original recipe
It only takes about ten minutes to prepare this warm and pleasant drink. The blue latte is creamy without dairy products. It is soothing and its taste is reminiscent of Camellia sinensis green tea. It is delicious and sweet, with a delicate flavor.
Here is the equipment you need to prepare it:
- a small sieve
- Small saucepan
- Milk frother
- 250 ml cashew milk
- ½ tsp. 1/2 teaspoon butterfly pea flower powder
- 1 C. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Rose petals for serving (optional)
1. Heat the cashew milk over medium heat until it begins to steam. If you don't have one, you can also use another type of vegetable milk such as hazelnut milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc. Take into account that some of them are creamier or more aromatic than others and this can completely change the taste of your Bleu latte.
* Be careful not to boil the mixture. Just heat it until it's hot.
2. To prevent lumps from forming, sift the butterfly pea superfood powder into the heated vegetable milk. Whisk in the butterfly pea flower powder with the maple syrup and vanilla extract until it becomes frothy. Keep whisking until the powder has dissolved and you no longer see any lumps.
3. Remove from heat and aerate with the milk frother for 30 seconds if desired. Pour into a cup and decorate with a few rose petals.
* The amount of ingredients is calculated to make just one cup of Blue latte. It contains 93 kcal (if you use cashew milk). If you want to prepare several slats, double (triple) the quantity.
Some interesting facts and other ways to prepare
It is also possible to make a blue latte coffee using ginger, lemon, coconut milk, agave and blue seaweed powder. In this case, the drink has a strong smell of seaweed. In fact, it is the mixture invented by the Australians that conquered the whole world in no time despite its price of 7 euros per cup.
In Southeast Asia, the flower is used as a natural food coloring in the preparation of rice or various desserts.
There is also a butterfly pea flower tea which is made from dried ternatea and lemongrass flowers. The liquid that contains the flower changes color depending on what is added to it. So the lemon juice makes it purple.
You can also consume the drink in a cold version by adding a few ice cubes.
The flowers of the plant Clitoria ternatea
Blue pea tea with added lemon juice
Blue Latte art - the perfect photo for Instagram